Epic Games Unreal Engine Epic Games Forums Epic Games Community

utcomAre you looking for the new Unreal Tournament? Head on over to the New Unreal Tournament blog at UnrealTournament.com.

There you can hear all abut the development of the new Unreal Tournament, check out the latest fan submitted concept art, watch gameplay videos and even play the game with an Unreal Engine 4 subscription!

Don’t forget to follow us, like us and subscribe to our social pages!

Twitter
Facebook
Twitch
YouTube
Instagram
iTunes

In case you missed the news, work on the future of Unreal Tournament has begun and we’re happy to announce that we’re going to do this together, with you. We know that fans of the game are as passionate about Unreal Tournament as we are. We know that you have great ideas and strong opinions about where the game should go and what it should be. So let’s do something radical and make this game together, in the open, and for all of us.

bufut

Here’s the plan:

• We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.
  • From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
  • If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.
  • All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.
  • The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.
  • Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

So what’s the catch?

• It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.
  • When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
  • We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic.  That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

A lot of this is brand new for Epic, and we don’t yet have everything figured out.  Things will probably definitely go wrong from time to time, and when they do, we’ll have to work through them together. There will be a lot of tough decisions to make, and not every feature will make it into the game. But if you’re a fan of Unreal Tournament, a UE4 developer, or a future modder – or if you just want to learn how we make games – we hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be fun.

Want to get involved?

• Want more detail on the project? Read our wiki.
  • Want to participate & give feedback? Check out the forums, and sign up for a free account here to join Unreal Engine 4 community.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, YouTube and Instagram

Last Thursday, the UT team here at Epic had their first play-through of Unreal Tournament Deathmatch! Gameplay programmer Matt Oelfke won the match, which is usually what happens when Matt plays. The team also played a few matches of the original Unreal Tournament to get a feel for the movement and gameplay. The UT team is discussing Unreal Tournament movement with the community in the UT Movement Discussion forum and in the Early Movement Prototype thread. Senior Designer, Nick Donaldson posted a prototype for users to try and forum members have been discussing it and posting their own prototypes. Subscribers to Unreal Engine 4 are able to download and play the prototypes as well as create their own. Be sure to check out the prototypes and jump in to the conversation!

Nick and Matt were also hard at work last week on the UT weapons. Matt created a prototype of the shock rifle and worked on shock combos. Nick created the blueprint prototype of the Minigun and Flak Cannon. Joe Wilcox quickly found the Minigun was a bit overpowered in the Deathmatch playtest and was nearly unstoppable. You can join in the weapon discussion in the UT Weapon Design forum.

Next week, our live stream will be returning and Art Director Chris Perna will be talking about his vision for the art style in the new Unreal Tournament. He will also be discussing the concept art the community has created and he and Senior Artist Rick Kohler will give pointer so to artists who would like to submit their concept art for review. You can join in the conversation in the Skaarj Concept thread.  Keep watching for a date and time for the episode!

We’ve also started work on a new logo for the game and we are setting up our social media channels. So far, you can find us on Facebook, Twitch, YouTube and Instagram. The links are below. Be sure to give us a follow and join in on the discussion!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UnrealTournament
Twitter: https://twitter.com/UTEpic
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/unrealtournament
YouTube: http://youtube.com/UnrealTournament
Instagram: http://instagram.com/unrealtournament

Unreal Tournament Forums: https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Unreal-Tournament
Unreal Tournament Wiki: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Unreal_Tournament_Development

Read more ...

Alvaro Stuardo Bravo has been impressing us for almost two years with his amazing sculptures. Since those first sculptures, his talent has continued to grow and he is quickly becoming a world class artist. Alvaro recently surprised us with a beautiful sculpture based on the Gears of War: Judgment Reaper. I carried it around the studio and people were so amazed at the detail. It will soon find it’s home hanging on the Epic walls.

Epic Gamer and artist Tim Fangon chats with Alvaro about sculpting and other mediums he enjoys.

966372_331802133613500_473553535_oTim F: How did you get started sculpting?

Alvaro B: I started sculpting 2 years ago with a lot of questions about materials and techniques, learning from YouTube and after all the research now I feel more confident about my sculptures.

I started after I saw “Inside the Wicked Workshop” on YouTube from Chris Perna, to me was very inspiring.

TF: Who is your favorite Gears of War Character to sculpt?

AB: Definitely Marcus Fenix, I believe Marcus is the most awesome Character in the game. :)

TF: Could you describe the process for the sculpture?999059_10151843181449230_2052617188_n

AB: I start with an armature made of metal, then I cover the armature with aluminum foil. Then I start modeling the clay over the aluminum foil with rough shapes until I feel comfortable with the results. I bake the clay and the statue is ready for the paint job!

TF: What kind of clay do you use?

AB: I use Super Sculpey and Sculpey Firm which is a type of polymer clay that can be molded and put into a conventional oven to harden.

TF: How did you make it look like bronze?

AB: That was the paint job made it by my Girlfriend Carla, she painted several layers of different colors to get that finish and then she added some clear coats to bring some shine :)

964503_342751579185222_34180249_oTF: Did you know the sculpture will be on display at Epic Headquarters?

AB: That’s gonna be Fantastic! And makes me feel very happy because you guys likes what I do, to me is an honor.

TF: When did you start sketching?

AB: I been sketching all my life, I love to make drawings and When I saw Gears of War I knew that I wanted to keep improving my sketches. I loved to make drawings using just a regular ball pen and maybe some polychromes!

TF: How long have you been drawing?

AB: All my life! Since I was 4 years old.

TF: Do you create any art on PC?

AB: Yes. I make drawings using Photoshop and recently I started using Z-Brush which is pretty awesome. :)

TF: Which do you like to do more, sketch or sculpt?

AB: I don’t know which is better but I try to do both things because one helps to improve the other and because both makes me happy.

Alvaro on deviantART
Epic Gamers on deviantART

OSTCover_FINAL4The website videogamewriters.com recently posted the top 15 video game soundtracks. Two titles from Epic Games made it to the list. They decided to list only original soundtracks, not ones created as compilations. Gears of War by Kevin Riepl comes in as number twelve on the list.

Jen Bosier says, ” It’s easy to forget how revolutionary Gears was when it first released, with every aspect of the game feeling like a grand experiment. This extends to Riepl’s soundtrack which effortlessly blends strong, militaristic themes with foreboding sounds typically reserved for horror offerings.”

At number seven is The Bulletstorm Soundtrack by Michael Cielecki and Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz. “Cielecki’s mix of chorals and brass plays as a homage to epic action set pieces and thrilling, tense adventures. There isn’t a weak track on the album and chances are you’ll find yourself remembering your favorite skill shots.”

You can get a track from each of the soundtracks for free from the Epic 20th Anniversary Original Soundtrack. You can also download the complete Bulletstorm soundtrack for free, from FilePlanet.

Recent Posts